Registration for Broward County Public Schools Head Start and Early Head Start programs begins Tuesday, February 15 through March 11. A second application period is scheduled to take place March 21 through April 8. Applications will be accepted at six locations throughout Broward County.
The District’s Head Start Program serves three and four-year-old children, while the Early Head Start Program provides services for pregnant women, infants and toddlers. There are income eligibility requirements, as determined by the Department of Health & Human Services 2011 Poverty Guidelines. Families of children with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The District’s Head Start Program offers a full day of educationally enriching activities focusing on the development of the whole child. Literacy and number concepts, with research proven curriculum, and ongoing assessments are included and serve to highlight children’s progress. Services include dental, health, nutrition, mental health and family support.
When applying, parents or guardians will need to provide the following documentation:
• Proof of age (child’s original birth certificate or passport)
• Child’s Medicaid Card (if eligible)
• Proof of guardianship (if applicable)
• Parent photo identification
• Proof of all household income for the past 12 months (income is defined as the total money earned or received before deductions for all family members.)
• Proof of residence in Broward County
An application may be completed by the parent or legal guardian at any of the application sites. For additional information, contact Sayra Hughes, executive director, Pre-K – 2 Department, 754-321-1961.