Enjoy a Fun, Kid-Friendly Recipe
(NewsUSA) – Cooking with kids can be a challenge, but there’s no need to tackle hollandaise or souffles. When looking for a kid-friendly recipe, choose something that’s simple and hands-on.
For example, the following recipe for Texas Reds in a Blanket involves spreading cream cheese, folding refrigerated crescent roll dough and sprinkling cinnamon sugar, giving junior pastry chefs plenty to do. The accompanying sauce only requires the use of a microwave, though you should handle any hot bowls and cookie sheets yourself.
Use Texas Rio Star Grapefruit, which is sweeter than other varieties of grapefruit. The grapefruit season runs from October to May. When buying grapefruit, look for fruits that feel heavy for their size, as that indicates a juicy fruit.
Texas Reds in a Blanket
Makes four servings
2 Texas Rio Star Grapefruit
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons cream cheese
1 (8 ounce) roll refrigerated reduced fat crescent dinner rolls
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Remove grapefruit segments; place on paper towels to remove excess moisture. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and cream cheese spread.
4. Separate crescent dough into triangles, and lay on wax paper. Spread each with creamed cheese.
5. Place three grapefruit segments on wide end of each triangle; roll each triangle into crescent shape enclosing grapefruit segments.
6. Combine 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 tablespoon sugar on waxed paper; roll grapefruit crescent in cinnamon sugar; Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
7. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Finely chop remaining grapefruit segments; place in small bowl with three tablespoons sugar, sour cream and maple syrup. Cook in microwave on high for about one to two minutes, or until it starts to boil.
9. Drizzle sauce over crescents, or serve as a dipping sauce.
- Add a Fresh Twist to Taco Night With Seafood
- Tired of comfort food? Check out this deal on local Asian restaurants!
- Heads Up Report: New Boston Market concept
- Heads Up Report: III Forks at Village of Gulfstream in Hallandale
- Davie Celebrates Arbor Day
Short URL: https://browardnetonline.com/?p=10723