Teen suspect charged for placing hoax bomb device at Tamarac’s Millennium Middle School

Stay up to date on South Florida news! Click here to subscribe for email news updates from BrowardNETOnline.com

Update 9:06 a.m., June 4, 2013: The 13-year-old suspect who placed the hoax device at Millennium Middle School has been charged with disrupting a school function. His name is being withheld and the investigation is ongoing.

Update: 9:30pm June 3, 2013:

BSO Violent Crimes Unit detectives are presently interviewing a 13-year-old Millennium Middle School student for his role in placing a hoax device in the courtyard on the campus that forced the evacuation of two schools Monday afternoon. Just after 3 p.m., students who saw the suspect previously place the hoax device in the courtyard came forward to faculty only after the school was placed on lock-down for an unrelated incident – a strong-arm robbery in the area. The students inadvertently thought the lock-down was a result of the hoax device being placed.

Additional information was obtained that confirmed that the suspect told classmates that he put bombs on the school campus.

The school staff located the device and alerted the on-campus BSO school resource deputy who immediately responded to the location and determined that the device appeared to look consistent with an explosive device. The device was in plain view, not in a backpack or package as some media erroneously reported. The school’s emergency response plan was initiated and about 1,500 students from Millennium M.S. and 250 after care children from neighboring Challenger Elementary School were safely evacuated to the Tamarac Aquatics Center.

The BSO Bomb Squad and Office of Homeland Security responded, along with Tamarac Fire Rescue and Broward School District safety personnel and police.

The suspect was taken in for questioning from his Lauderhill home late Monday afternoon and charges are expected to be filed some time tonight. The suspect and his parents are cooperating with the investigation and his name is being withheld at this time. There were no injuries and the school was given the all-clear late Monday evening.

Share Button