Broward bullying non-profit #NVEEE getting celebrity attention in fundraiser at upcoming Miami concertStay up to date on South Florida news! Click here to subscribe for email news updates from BrowardNETOnline.com
Michelle Williams will star as Sandra Isadore in the return of the Tony Award winning show during the 2013 national touring engagement of “Fela!” Both Williams and the Producers of Fela!, Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter along with Will Smith and Jada Pinkett-Smith, will be supporting NVEEE (National Voices for Equality, Education and Enlightenment), by donating $10 from each ticket that is sold to the anti-bullying non-profit organization during select shows. Theater goers are asked to use the code NVEEE when purchasing tickets for any of the following performances: the Arie Crown Theater in Chicago, IL for February 20 – 23, 2013; the Fox Theater in Atlanta, GA for February 28 – March 3, 2013 and finally at the Adrienne Arsht Center in Miami, FL for March 19 – 24, 2013.
Williams recently became a spokesperson for NVEEE, an organization focused on preventing bullying, violence and suicide among young people. “It is a privilege to be a part of the NVEEE team, and it is my responsibility to be a voice for those who have no one to speak for them and empower them to stand up and speak out. No one should have to tolerate being bullied.” Williams herself admitted to being bullied as a child and has used that experience as a motivation to speak out for others through working with NVEEE.
Fela! is an inspiring rhythmic tale of Fela Kuti, who created Afrobeat – a melting of jazz, funk and African rhythm and harmonies. The show is electrifying audiences with its passionate sounds and soulful rhythms. While celebrating the life and struggles of Fela Kuti, Fela! showcases some of the most exhilarating sounds and musical blends that are uniquely Fela Kuti. Having won three Tony Awards, Fela! takes its audience on a exciting and vital experience through Kuti’s life as an artist and human rights activist. “Fela is delighted to be affiliated with NVEEE. Fela is about having each others back, self esteem and the fight for human dignity. Fela’s struggle and the struggle of the children who NVEEE serves have much in common – believe in yourself, stand up for who you are, have no fear, and you can change the world. That is why the musical Fela! exists and what NVEEE teaches everyday,” said Lead Producer Stephen Hendel.
Adrienne Arsht Center, Broward County, broward county news, bullying, charity event, concerts in miami, education and enlightenment, Events, fela, Fort Lauderdale Police, ft. lauderdale, fundraising events, jada, jada pinkett smith, miami events, michelle williams, national voices for equality, nveee, pinkett, pinkett-smith, play, sandra isadore, shawn “Jay-Z” Carter, shows, smith, spokesperson, stephen hendel, suicide, violence, will, will smith
Recent Broward News
- Ready ‘Freddy’: Water Managers Prepare for Hurricane Season in #SouthFlorida
- Pembroke Pines Receives Grant from the Community Foundation of Broward to Re-engage, Recycle and Reinvigorate the Environment
- Broward County Transit Service Adjustments Effective May 26
- Broward Promotes “Take 5 to Stay Alive. Don’t Text and Drive.” as Florida Bill Awaits Governor’s Signature
- #CoralSprings to hold Memorial Day Ceremony on May 27
- Bonnet House one of more than 1,800 museums offering free admission to military personnel and their families this summer
- Get involved: #Broward Parks and Recreation Advisory Board to meet; open to all
- South Florida Dance Vacations Launches June 15 with VISIT FLORIDA Tourism Grant
- NASA image of the storms over Oklahoma during tornadoes
- “Treasures of the Hard Rock” Music Memorabilia Exhibit; unique collection goes on display at Hard Rock #Hollywood