Museum of Art | Ft. Lauderdale: FREE admission and events
The Museum is hosting a Books & Books grand opening weekend Jan. 13-16, which includes free Museum admission, special events, author appearances and $2 off Vatican Splendors exhibition pre-sale tickets, which opens January 29th. Events include:
Thursday, Jan. 13 — Museum opens at 11 am with free admission until 8 pm
- 6 pm lecture event: John Wilmerding, former Deputy Director of the National Gallery of Art and highly respected authority on American art, speaks about the exhibition Tom Wesselmann Draws. Free admission, however reservations are requested. Call Holly Guiliano (
Friday, Jan. 14 — Museum opens at 11 am with free admission until 5 pm
- 12 pm – 1 pm Jacob Jeffries Band performance: Declared “(one) of Miami’s best and most buzzed-about independent artists, singer songwriters,” by the Miami Herald, the Jacob Jeffries Band has released a series of albums engineered and produced by Grammy Award-winning producers Sebastian Krys and Dan Warner and published by Warner Chappell. Jacob Jeffries, considers among his musical influences Ben Folds, the Beatles, Tom Petty, Gavin Degraw and Jellyfish. Free. Bookstore/café.
- 1 pm event: An informal “Conversation” with Chef Allen Susser of Chef Allen’s and the Museum’s new café along with radio/television host Linda Gassenheimer. Linda Gassenheimer is the author of the best-selling cookbook, Dinner in Minutes. She has also written ten other cookbooks, produces and hosts a weekly segment, “Food News and Views,” on WLRN National Public Radio and makes many guest appearances on numerous radio and television programs throughout the United States and Canada. Free. Lobby/Café.
- 2 pm – 3 pm Jacob Jeffries Band performance: See prior listing. Free. Bookstore/café.
Saturday, Jan. 15 – Museum opens at 11 am with free admission until 5 pm
- 11 am storytelling event: Co-author Pablo Cartaya shares his yummy new picture book for little ones, Tina Cocolina, Queen of the Cupcake. Immediately following the storytelling, guests will enjoy coloring chef’s hats and receive a complimentary mini-cupcake provided by Sugarsweet Dreams Cake Company. Free. Bookstore/Café.
- 2 pm storytelling event: A story time for young readers, family tour, and sketching in the galleries celebrates Tom Wesselmann Draws featuring stories with a short family tour. Free. Wesselmann Gallery.
- 3 pm City Theatre Free Reading Plays for Summer Shorts Festival: This popular free play reading series, entering its 15th season in association with Books & Books, previews scripts culled from among the 1,200+ plays submitted annually by national and local playwrights as part of the National Ten-Minute Play Contest. The readings feature a rotating company of South Florida’s finest actors, and are led by City Theatre’s artistic staff. Audiences enjoy participating in the process of a play’s development by being among the first to hear and evaluate a new work. Free. Bookstore/café.
Sunday, Jan. 16 – Museum opens at noon with free admission until 5 pm
- 1-2 pm Inside Out Theatre Performance: Inside Out Theatre Company will present its newest and original musical on bullying, “Nowhere to Hide.” The show, performed by youth for youth ages 8-12, runs approximately one hour and will include a post performance discussion with the audience. Free. Horvitz Auditorium.
- 1-3 pm Local Author Open House: A lively, informal “Meet and Greet” with local authors featuring live music and food. Authors in attendance include: Kristy Kiernan, James Grippando, Evelina Galang, Lynne Barrett, Michael Hettich, Fabiola Santiago, Steven Raichlen, Thomas Swick and Adrian Castro. Free. Bookstore/café.
- 3 pm Poetry Collective event: Members of the Miami Poetry Collective, including Peter Borrebach, Parker Phillips, David Svenson, and Patsy Warman, will be reading poems that speak from the spaces between the arts, utilizing ekphrasis (poetry written after specific works of visual art) as a tool to recognize that the lyric process is one that both precludes and transcends the experience of art. Free. Bookstore/café.
- Holiday Pop-Up Book Story Time at the Museum of Art
- Free movies on Fort Lauderdale beach
- FREE Event in Coral Springs: 10th Annual Health & Wellness Seminar
- MR. POTATO HEAD Exhibit open untill May 15th 2011
- Vatican Splendors coming to Museum of Art in Fort Lauderdale
Short URL: https://browardnetonline.com/?p=11003
Posted by Andrea Freygang on Jan 11 2011. Filed under Art, Broward County, Events, Families, Local news. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry
[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Theresa Fix. Theresa Fix said: RT @BrowardNet: Museum of Art | Ft. Lauderdale: FREE admission and events http://bit.ly/eZ3QFP [...]