Davie hosting amateur ham radio classes
An Amateur Radio (Ham radio) operator class will begin on Saturday, January 30, 2010 at the Davie Police Department, located at 1230 South Nob Hill Road. The free classes will be held on four successive Saturday mornings, from 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. The material taught and learned in the class will enable the student to obtain the Amateur Technician Class license issued by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). A test (free of charge) will be offered February 20, on the last day of class.
What do ham radio operators do? The number of activities enjoyed by hams is nearly limitless, and some examples are:
- Talk to people on the radio as close as living in your own neighborhood, or as faraway as the other side of the world.
- Participate in local, state, and world-wide contests.
- Help with communications during local events.
- Assist with vital communications during periods of disaster when land lines and cell phones go out-of-service.
This is not CB radio. The Amateur Radio Service is regulated by the Federal Communications Commission and licensing is required. Given the privileges enjoyed by amateurs, testing and licensing ensures that people operate correctly and within the rules that govern amateur radio.
Anyone can be licensed as an amateur, as long as you are not an official representative of a foreign government. There is no age restriction (there are many teenagers who are hams), and there is no cost for the course. You do not even need to own a radio. All you will need is a basic calculator and, although not mandatory but highly recommended, a book called The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual. This book can be obtained locally from Mike’s Electronics located at 1069 NW 53 Street in Ft. Lauderdale, phone Various sources on the internet like and http://www.arrl.org/ also provide this manual.
For more information, contact:
Call sign: AJ4SB
To learn more about the world of Amateur radio: http://www.hello-radio.org/
- Davie hosting third town meeting in June
- Davie hosting town hall meeting in May
- Davie hosting green fair Dec. 11
- Davie hosting Veterans Day service
- Old Davie School hosting membership drive
Short URL: https://browardnetonline.com/?p=5579