From the time the Wizard of Oz was first shown in theaters so many years ago, it became an instant classic. I’m sure anyone reading this article can remember watching it together as a family when they were young, and will probably one day sit down and watch this movie with their children if they have not already done so. Below is a listing of some of the best Fansites for the Wizard of Oz movie starring Judy Garland.
- http://thewizardofoz.warnerbros.com/ I am not sure that this site would actually classify as a “fan site”, but it is the official site of the Wizard of Oz movie, so I feel as if I should include it. This site includes “Munchkin Land” (kids activity segment with a game and photo gallery), “Apple Orchard” with information about the cast of the movie, “Haunted Forest” (all about the film), “Witches Castle” (the media gallery), and “Emerald City” (extras including song lyrics and links). Definitely a great site for any Wizard of Oz fan to check out.
- http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/6396/ozpage.htm This page is part of a larger site and is dedicated to the classic 1939 film. There are many links and information for the Oz fan including how the special effects were done, facts and myths about the ruby slippers, a page entirely devoted to “Toto”, accidents and bloopers while filming, sights and sounds (movie clips you can view), and much more!
- http://home.att.net/~wizardoz/index.html Entitled “a tribute to movie magic and the miracle of production”, this page is the author’s attempt to keep the magic of the Wizard of Oz movie alive. Features include the ability to sing along to “Somewhere over the Rainbow” with Dorothy, read how it all began, and view and sign the guestbook for Oz fans.
- http://www.reelclassics.com/Musicals/Wizoz/wizoz.htm Again, not specifically a “fan” site, but full of great Oz information, this section of reelclassics.com gives many informative details about the movie. It explains how the Wizard of Oz was nominated for six academy awards and was one of the first movies to be nominated to the National Film Registry, along with other facts and statistics. Includes a great photo gallery, and downloads such as screen savers, desktop themes, and wallpaper images.
- http://www.wendyswizardofoz.com/main.php This is a very complete site, begun with only three pages in 1996-it has come a long way since then! The complete script is included on this site. There is also an emporium for Oz fans to purchase anything from Wizard of Oz DVDs to water globes to children’s imitation ruby slippers. There are links on this site to different Oz events (Yellow Brick Road Festival and Munchkin Convention), and even a page memorializing the staff, crew, and actors who have since passed on. A fun stuff page with games and a coloring book is part of this site.
- Watch free movies and TV shows online as you click on the link you can enjoy your favorite Wizard Of OZ movies for free. You get a complete package for your whole family with that. Additionally, you get a wide range of other movies in every genre that you can enjoy on this website.