Although the term Pokemon Game has a different meaning in 2016, yet a lot of people still picture of the good old Pokemon games when they hear the word. Pokemon games have been around for a very long time and they were initially released for the portable gaming consoles like the Nintendo. However, these consoles have ran out of their effective life cycle mostly and the technology itself has become obsolete. But with the advancement in modern computing tech, it is possible to bring back these Nintendo exclusive to a computing platform by the help of a simple software – called Pokemon Emulator.
If you haven’t heard about emulators before – it’s just a software that creates handheld console-like environment in a computer so that the console games can run on a computer. The game cartridge files need to be loaded in the computer system through ROM files. It’s quite easy.
How to Play Pokemon Games on a Computer
Here are the steps to get lost in a distant childhood. You may not be able to bring back a Nintendo 3DS, but you can certainly install some software on your computer and play Pokemon!
- Find an Emulator: Pokemon Emulators are quite available, but just any emulator won’t do. To have the best gameplay experience on a laptop or desktop computer, we recommend getting a Nintendo DS or Nintendo Gameboy emulator. These two consoles were widely popular and thus more game ROMs would be available for DS and Gameboy.
- Download and Install an Emulator in your PC: If you go through some download websites, a lot available emulators are up for grabs. However, check the reviews before you settle for one because there are a good a number of scams as well.
- Check if the Emulator Works: Once the installation is done, double click on the emulator icon in desktop or start menu to verify whether the emulator actually works. If it does, you should now proceed to downloading the ROM files.
- ROM Files: The ROM files are the files extracted from cartridges found in older consoles. ROM files can be opened inside the emulator window and the most reputed emulators will take pretty much any ROM file. However, while downloading the ROM files be careful with the download source because these ROM files are another way of scamming a computer user.
- Pokemon Emulator ROM: A lot of local forums and Bit Torrent based websites offer great gaming ROMs for the Pokemon emulators out there. Since all the Pokemon game ROMs are basically Nintendo console based ROMs, they should all be identical in file structure. After going through a few, one should be able to differentiate the right from the wrong. If there’s a version number available, download the latest version.
- Is it Piracy?: Yes and No. Since you aren’t buying the games originally and playing on a computer through a bypass method instead, it is piracy. However the games are outdated and the modern technology has outrun the older console technologies, apparently Nintendo wouldn’t mind you playing their game on a computer and not a console.
Pokemon Emulators are great ways of passing time! You’ll surely have a good reminiscence of the past after you download one of them.