A fun day at the lighthouse. Enjoy the cool ocean breezes blowing with crispness in the air. Come to 125 North Riverside Drive, Pompano Beach, FL on the North side of the Sands Harbor Resort and Marina. Parking is on the east side of the street in the City (pay) parking lot. Registration/check-in is 8:30 AM until the last boat returns. (at about 4:00 PM)The boat leaves the Sands pier to the lighthouse beginning at 9:00 AM and every hour on the hour until 3:00 PM. The boat leaves the Lighthouse to the Sands pier beginning at 9:30 AM and every hour on the half hour until 3:30 PM. We suggest an arrival at the respective pier 20 minutes before the departure time. Friendly members will register/check you in, provide you with a wrist band, and assist you with boarding for the boat ride to/from the lighthouse. A current HLPS membership or a $25 PP transportation fee is required.
HLPS members have installed signs at 18 points of interests at this U.S. Coast Guard Light station. You may take the walking tour on your own or go with a guide who may have answers to your questions. You will probably want to climb the tower and enjoy the spectacular view from the Observation Deck. Back at ground level story tellers will share stories about life at the light station, Keepers, and their families that lived there. Over at the Barefoot Mailman Statue, a local re-enactor of those barefoot troopers, will have his historic stories of how “he” walked up and down the beach from West Palm to the Miami River six days a week with his precious mail pouch to deliver news to the sparsely populated outposts. Kids (both young and old) can ask about the weekly 68 mile journey 40 miles walking and 28 miles by boat.
- Active member of HLPS on tour date, Join Now, or may join the day of the tour, or pay the transportation fee.
- Shoes: Flat shoes with rubber soles and closed toes, NO sandals, flip flops, or shoes with heels.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult and 48″ minimum height to climb the tower, a U.S. Coast Guard requirement.
- Transportation+tour estimated time: 2-3 hours, plan accordingly.
- NO pets, the Coast Guard doesn’t allow them.