Challenger Elementary School and Millennium Middle School evacuated in Tamarac; where to pickup

Stay up to date on South Florida news! Click here to subscribe for email news updates from BrowardNETOnline.com

Update: 10pm, June 3, 2013 – Visit new article here: http://browardnetonline.com/2013/06/teen-suspect-in-custody-for-placing-hoax-bomb-device-at-tamaracs-millennium-middle-school/

Update 8:09 pm June 3, 2013: ACcording to NBC 6, “A 17-year-old male student who was suspended from Millennium Middle School was detained at his Lauderhill home after a suspicious device that was found Monday prompted the evacuation of two Tamarac schools, authorities said.

NBC goes on to say:

Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue spokesman Mike Jachles said the student is being questioned.

The device has been mitigated, and the all-clear given at the school at 5803 NW 94th Ave., he said.

The Broward Sheriff’s Office bomb squad had been investigating a suspicious device found outside the middle School, authorities said.

Read more: http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Millennium-Middle-School-on-Lockdown-Broward-Sheriffs-Office-209979151.html

BrowardNET is still awaiting more details for the Broward Sheriff’s Office.

From Broward County Schools:

Challenger Elementary School and Millennium Middle School were evacuated this afternoon.  Students from Challenger and Millennium Middle are safe and have been relocated to the Caporella Aquatic Center – 9300 NW 58th St., Tamarac, FL).  Transportation services for Millennium students is expected to run as close to the normal schedule as possible.  Parents can pick up students from the Caporella Aquatic Center 9300 NW 58th St., Tamarac, FL. We do ask that parents present identification for pick-up.  We appreciate everyone’s patience and assistance throughout this process.

From Broward Sheriff’s Office:

Media is staging at 9399 W. Commercial Blvd , Tamarac in the parking lot of the vacant Stearns Bank. Both Millenium Middle and Challenger Elem. have been safely evacuated while BSO Bomb Squad and BSO Office of Homeland Security are investigating. About 1500 kids from Millenium and 250 from Challenger were evacuated. There are no injuries and a neighboring industrial warehouse/business is being evacuated at this time. PIO is on scene.

At this time, BrowardNETOnline.com does not know what they are investigating that caused the evacuation. We do have an inquiry in as to why the bomb squad and the Department of Homeland Security are on scene. According to Channel 7, it was a suspicious package in the middle of the campus.

 

Share Button