Earlier this month, BusinessWeek magazine unveiled its annual list of “Best Places to Raise Your Kids.” For the second consecutive year, Sunrise was selected one of Florida’s top three cities for families.
BusinessWeek went state by state, focusing on towns with at least 45,000 residents and a median family income of $40,000 to $125,000. The magazine then narrowed the field, using the following criteria: school performance; number of schools; household expenditures; crime rates; air quality; job growth; family income; museums, parks, theatres and other amenities; and diversity. Affordability, safety and school test scores were given the greatest weight.
Additional Offices Moved to “City Hall Annex”
As part of restructuring efforts for the new budget year – which began on October 1, 2009 – the City consolidated two of its largest operating departments. The Planning & Development Department and the Building Department have been merged to form the Community Development Department.
As of Thursday, November 19, they also share a location in Sunrise’s “City Hall Annex.” The Building Services office remains at 1607 NW 136th Avenue, Building B, while Planning Services – as well as key Central Services divisions – can be found just across the hall at 1601 NW 136th Avenue, Building A.
Details of the move are as follows:
- Planning and Engineering – relocated from City Hall, 10770 West Oakland Park Boulevard;
- Capital Projects, Redevelopment and Grants Administration, Purchasing, and Risk Management – relocated from 3495 North Hiatus Road.
The City’s consolidations and relocations have been undertaken in an effort to increase efficiency and better serve the needs of residents and corporate citizens. No phone or fax numbers have changed as a result of these moves.
Closures and Holiday Hours for Thanksgiving
In observance of the Thanksgiving holiday, the City’s administrative offices – as well as the Sunrise Senior Center – will be closed on Thursday, November 26, and Friday, November 27.
Recreation facilities will operate according to the following schedule:
- Parks – Open 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Thursday; Open regular hours on Friday.
- Tennis Club – Open 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Thursday; Open regular hours on Friday.
- Civic Center Athletic Club – Closed on Thursday; Open regular hours on Friday.
- Civic Center Aquatics Complex – Closed on Thursday; Open regular hours on Friday.
- Village Multipurpose Center – Closed on Thursday; Open regular hours on Friday.
Browse handmade crafts from more than 200 talented vendors, and enjoy international foods and strolling entertainment. Admission is just $5 per person, or six cans of food. Children under 12 are admitted free.
For more information, visit www.woodstockartsfest.com or call (954) 747-4600.